Social and Emotional Learning (SEL) is the process through which children and adults acquire and effectively apply the knowledge, attitudes, and skills necessary to understand and manage emotions, set and achieve positive goals, feel and show empathy for others, establish and maintain positive relationships, and make responsible decisions (CASEL, 2020).
Florida Atlantic University’s Office of Educational Leadership Learning (OELL) continues to forge partnerships to strengthen district and state primary prevention efforts. Our plan focuses on building statewide capacity for safe and supportive school environments via SEL.
A three-pronged approach to improve social and emotional education and skills development.
The three-pronged approach includes the following:
- Facilitate a Florida SEL District Collaborative to engage districts as critical partners in building statewide capacity.
- Develop an interactive Florida District Implementation SEL Landscape Map.
- Strengthen social and emotional education and skills development through a best-practice track at the 2021 Florida School Health Association (FSHA) conference. Please mark your calendar for May 12-14, 2021 and plan to attend.
Studies show SEL impacts:
- 11% gain in academic achievement
- $1 investment = $11 return
- Significant reduction in conduct problems, emotional distress, and drug use
(Child Development, 2011)
FDOE Strategic Goal SEL assists with: